Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Scenery Piece

Taking the bus home…

As the bus set into motion, I stumbled down the walkway grabbing on from one shiny pole to another to keep myself from falling. Every seat was filled in the first two rows and the elderly already took the good seats. I scan the seats from left to right as I continue to stagger towards the end of the bus. One appeared to be open next to a lady who looked a bit odd. Her hair was nappy and frolicking from the wind gushing through the slit in the window. She no longer looked odd. I examined her more closely. In fact, she was unappealing and distasteful. A tiny stench came about as I moved closer to her. It was the scent of tree bark mixed with cinnamon that was coming from her gum that she chewed so openly with her mouth wide open and lips churning about, forming tiny bubbles of saliva at the corners of her mouth. I slowed my pace debating whether I wanted to censor myself and turn around or keep going towards the seat in the back corner. My mind couldn’t decide so my chubby ankles moved my body swiftly passed the lady and I hopped into the corner seat. I turned on my iPod, closed my eyes, and realized how cruel my mind was for judging individuals I did not know. I let out a brief chuckle, smirked, and got lost in the music.

Words: 244

No comments: